Patients & Visitors
Patient Focused Care
St. Luke's Hospital patients have access to advanced technology and a healthcare plan
specifically designed for their successful treatment and recovery. From admission until
discharge and beyond, St. Luke's teammates focus on exceptional care, close to home.
Keep up with your personal health information by using My St. Luke's Chart. We've made accessing your health records easy, but your information is still entirely private and confidential. See and manage lab results, perscriptions, billing, immunizations records, surgical history, past procedures, discharge instructions and more.
Click Here to fill out our official online application.
Phlebotomist PR# 2036
Position Type: PRN
St. Luke's Hospital in Columbus, NC, is seeking to add a phlebotomist to our laboratory department.
-Follows all OSHA, HIPAA, Joint Commission and regulatory requirements.
-Draws blood from patients according to policy and procedures and transports the blood back to the lab in a timely manner.
-Labels all blood tubes according to policy and procedure and collects and receives them in the computer.
-Maintains the collection carts and work areas, keeps them clean and safe.
-Maintains stock collection supplies, notifies supervisor when stock is low.
-Assists in clerical duties as needed, including registration, data entry, filing, answering phones, waiting on outpatients, ordering lab test, and obtaining diagnosis codes & ABN's (Advanced Beneficiary Notices) when necessary.
-Assists with ordering and logging send out tests in the reference lab computer.
-Assists with preparing send out tests according and other lab personnel as needed.
-Obtains wheelchairs for any patient that is in need of one.
-Demonstrates the understanding of hospital safety, infection control and OSHA policy and procedures.
-Maintains proficiency of job knowledge and skills by participating in continuing education opportunities.
-Maintains a good working relationship with all laboratory pathologists and all other hospital personnel.
-Uses good guest relation skills with other departments, physicians and their office personnel.
-Has the ability to perform blood collections from infants, toddlers, adolescents, adults, psychiatric and geriatric patients.
-May perform waived testing once deemed competent to do so.
-Will be responsible for working any shift or holiday assigned and helping collect specimens at Health Fairs
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities(not an inclusive list):
1. High school diploma or GED required.
2. Phlebotomy may be learned on the job under the supervision of an experienced lab tech.
3. Prior experience is preferred, but not required.
4. Certification is required through a nationally recognized organization and must be maintained, along with continuing education (if required).
5. If any phlebotomist is not certified when hired they must obtain certification through a nationally recognized organization, such as ASCP, NHA, etc., within one year of hire date.
6. A phlebotomist may be full-time, part-time or PRN.
7. Must be able to demonstrate the ability to perform blood phlebotomy procedures on pediatrics, toddlers, adolescents, adults, geriatric, psychiatric and incapacitated patients in accordance with current laboratory policies and procedures.
8. Familiarity with the technology related to practice in the assigned area.
9. Good vision (including color discrimination), manual dexterity and mobility to function effectively in exercising job responsibilities.
10. Demonstrate the ability to work well and effectively with others.
11. Must be able to efficiently perform work in a room with other people, emotional patients and their families, subjected to moderate noise, traffic and interruptions.
12. CPR Certification required or within six months of employment and maintain current certification.
Special Instructions to Applicants: Background check and drug screen required for new team members.
Position Type : Pool/PRN/Per Diem
Shift : Other
Ref Code: 2036
101 Hospital Drive
Columbus, NC 28722