Patient Access Technician PR#9005
Position: Patient Access Technician
Position Type: PRN
St. Luke's Hospital in Columbus, NC, is seeking to add a new teammate to our registration department.
Accurately records, from multiple sources, the required demographic, insurance, and financial data sets, other information and signatures necessary to register patients; interacts in a customer-focused manner at points during the registration process and in later activities as appropriate, to ensure that patients', and their representatives', needs are met, and that they understand and comply with the revenue cycle process expectations including resolving their personal liabilities of co-pays, deductibles, and deposits, through various payment and program options. Answers all incoming calls to the hospital and directs them to the proper place. Assists the patients and doctors with long distance calls and performs overhead paging of doctors and hospital personnel. Technician is also responsible for short and long-range beeping of doctors and hospital personnel and for accurately maintaining calls and beeping services for Network Geriatrics. Technician shall run computer reports and census reports daily, at or before midnight, for the patient access manager.
1. Accurately collects and enters all required demographic, insurance, and financial data elements necessary to register and admit patients by interviewing the patient and/or appropriate patient representative(s); using information received via facsimile transmission, phone, face-to-face interaction, and previously recorded information to completely and accurately register a patient; acquiring copies of all available documents and forms such as insurance cards, driver's license or identification cards, and CPSI eligibility print-outs; records and electronically enters the information on a timely basis ensuring compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
2. Provides appropriate explanations to patients and other appropriate parties, secures and witnesses all required signatures according to established policy and regulation as applicable including the consent to treat, insurance assignment, release of information, Advance Beneficiary Notification, financial responsibility and other attestations as applicable.
3. Accurately prepares, produces and distributes to patients and other appropriate parties, on a timely basis, required forms, items and documents including labels, patient photographs, identification bands, and other special forms or reports as needed.
4. Analyzes, records, and processes appropriate data and transactions to ensure the Master Patient Index is accurately maintained for each patient registration encounter.
5. Initiates electronic and/or telephonic inquiries to secure record and electronically enter data, which confirms the patient's eligibility for third party healthcare benefits for the services being provided. When applicable, uses these inquiries to confirm that the patient has been initially authorized for the service being provided.
6. Provides information and explanations to the patient or responsible party to insure that he/she understands the financial policies that are followed by SLH, the charge for the services being provided, and the amounts expected to be paid by the patient or responsible party.
9. Negotiates with the patient or responsible party to achieve a mutually acceptable resolution of the expected self-pay balance including such options as credit card payments, deposits, and screens for charity care and other program eligibility or refers the patient to other sources as applicable.
10. Technician completes patient payment transactions, accepting and generating appropriate receipts for monies and credit card payments received, and maintaining necessary deposit, cash control and other records as applicable.
11. Works independently or in conjunction with nursing or other personnel, registers inpatient admissions on 1st, 2nd and 3rd shifts, and on weekends. Maintains adequate records to ensure census control, including the proper and timely processing and reporting of admissions, discharges and transfers. Runs computer reports and census reports daily, at or before midnight to ensure census functions are complete.
12. Calls for transport and/or directs patients and other parties to service areas and/or other locations.
13. Receives and properly processes, according to confidentially and other requirements, telephone calls received directly or through the hospital switchboard, answering questions, transferring calls as appropriate, and paging of physicians or hospital personnel. Performs short and long range beeping of doctors and hospital personnel and accurately maintains calls and beeping services for Network Geriatrics.
14. Analyzes day-to-day activities in order to provide input to the Continuous Quality Improvement efforts by voicing questions, comments and observations to the Supervisor or the Director.
15. Performs all other appropriate activities as directed and as necessary to meet the patient's needs and to achieve the required departmental and organizational outcomes.
Minimum Requirements (not an inclusive list):
1. High school graduate or equivalent.
2. Basic computer knowledge.
3. Ability to handle difficult patients and situations in a professional manner during high-stress and fast-paced situations.
4. Must be able to work independently and strong problem solving skills
5. Two years prior revenue cycle work experience preferred.
6. Moderate level of analytical ability required to review/research patient complaints/concerns as necessary.
Special Instructions to Applicants: Background check and drug screen required for new team members.
Position Type : Pool/PRN/Per Diem
Shift : Night
Ref Code: 9005
101 Hospital Drive
Columbus, NC 28722