Medical Technologist PR# 4005
Position: Medical Technoligist
Position type: Full Time
Shift: Monday - Friday 6AM-2:30PM
Standard Hours: 32 hours
St. Luke's Hospital in Columbus, NC, is seeking to add a new medical technologist to our laboratory.
The medical technologist performs chemical, bacteriological, serological, and microscopic procedures on blood, body fluids or tissue in one or more functional laboratory sections; maintains records of performance as defined in the laboratory general and sectional policy and procedure manuals.
-Receives written /computer orders from physicians for routine, stat and timed laboratory tests; obtains lab specimens such as urine, blood, sputum, stool and cultures on hospital, outpatients and ED patients using established laboratory techniques; performs clinical tests in any combination of areas in the laboratory. Techs will be responsible for working any shift or holiday needed and work in any department needed, as long as they have had the proper training for that area. Techs will also have to take call for backup weekend coverage.
-In the area of chemistry, technologists must be familiar with approved chemistry procedures in obtaining blood, separating for analysis, diluting, testing, and deriving correct answers with accurate performance of procedure, controls and standards. Run automated analyzers; perform daily, weekly monthly and as required maintenance, quality control & calibrations.
-In hematology, technologists will be responsible for collecting blood by Venipuncture or finger stick; perform such tests as red and white blood cell counts, platelet counts, manual differentials, reticulocyte counts, sedimentation rates, bleeding times, PT and APTT, fibrinogens, spun hematocrits, H & H. Run automated analyzers, perform daily, weekly monthly and as-required maintenance, quality control & calibrations.
-In urinalysis, the tech is responsible for determining pH, sugar, Albumin, acetone, bilirubin, blood, nitrates, leukocytes and specific gravity in urine and urine microscopic sediment. Run an automated analyzer. Performs daily, weekly, monthly and as-required maintenance, quality control and calibrations.
-In bacteriology, the tech is responsible for planting cultures, isolating bacteria, runs appropriate testing to assist in identifying bacteria and other microorganisms present in body fluids, exudates, and surgical specimens. Performs daily, weekly, monthly, and as-required maintenance, quality control and calibrations. Runs automated analyzers.
-In blood banking, the tech may be responsible for collecting and banding patients for blood bank procedures. The tech will be responsible for ordering, processing and re-typing blood (ABO and RH) and blood products received from ARC. The tech will be responsible for testing patients for ABO, RH, antibody screens, direct, cross matching blood, thawing FFP, and all associated paperwork. The tech will keep required records up to date and will do the monthly BB report. Performs daily, weekly, monthly, and as- required maintenance, quality control and calibrations.
-In serology, the tech is responsible for determining the correct specimens for Mono, Pregnancy, Strep, C. Difficile, HIV screen, drug screens and Influenza testing and is able to perform the tests accurately. Performs daily, weekly, monthly, and as-required maintenance, quality control and calibrations.
-In the blood gas department, the tech will be responsible for knowing how to run an ABG on the analyzer, change the reagent cartridge and know how to perform daily, weekly monthly and as-required maintenance, quality control and calibrations.
Required Knowledge, skills and abilities:(not an inclusive list)
1. Bachelor of Science degree from a recognized college or university, graduated from an accredited school of medical technology preferred, or equivalent, and passed the Board of Registry examination.
2. Six months of experience preferred.
3. The technologists will be responsible for all areas of lab work, and performs them well; must be able to deal with long hours, emotional families, patients and co-workers.
4. May be required to travel for training and/or in-services.
5. The technologist must be able to achieve quality results with accuracy and speed.
6. The technologist may be full-time, part-time or PRN.
7. Demonstrates the ability to perform medical laboratory procedures on pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric patients in accordance with the established policy and procedures in effect.
8. Familiarity with the technology related to practice within the assigned functional sections.
9. Good vision (including color discrimination), manual dexterity and mobility to function effectively in exercising job responsibilities. Requires close attention to many job duties and details, is able to multi-task.
10. Requires the tech be able to perform under timed guidelines.
11. Demonstrates the ability to work well and effectively with others.
12. Must be able to efficiently perform job duties in a room with other people, subjected to moderate noise, traffic and interruptions.
13. CPR Certification required or within six months of employment and maintain current certification.
14. Micro experience is a plus.
Special Instructions to Applicants: Background check and drug screen required for new team members.
Position Type : Full Time
Shift : Day
Ref Code: 4005
101 Hospital Drive
Columbus, NC 28722